2004/09/22

More Suppresion Of Dissent

I saw this post on my daughter's blog today:
Free Speech Zones again

Click here to read about another person arrested for having the audacity to disagree with the president in public. I am too tired to speak eloquently today, so I will just say that this really bugs the crap out of me.

I clicked the "Click here" link, which led to a Slate article, linked from there to an article on TheState.com for a little more information, then Googled the judge involved. After doing that, left the following comment on my daughter's post:

I'm sure the gang at al-Slate knows a lot more about what really happened than 12 South Carolina jurors and a federal judge, who by the way was nominated for his position by President William Jefferson Clinton, could possibly have. Whether you disagree with a particular law or not, it’s still a crime to violate it. The jurors in S.C. and that federal judge understood that. Even al-Slate says your “victim” was warned first and told what his legal options were. He decided to break the law anyway, so now he’s in jail. Boo-hoo-hoo. I won’t be able to enjoy supper tonight worrying about whether he’s getting enough bread and water.

She responded to my comment with her own ... :

I am not saying that it was illegal to arrest him, only that I find it audacious that Bush is so afraid of seeing someone who disagrees with him express their opinion. Jeez.
... to which I replied:
The Republicans threw a private party, from which they ejected an uninvited guest. The Democrats do the same sort of thing. The only difference is when they do it al-Slate, C-BS, and the rest of the lame-stream media don't get excited about it.

I guess my daughter and I are still friends. The next post on her blog was:

Hey Republicans!

Click here to read my Dad's web site. It is updated every day (which I can't attest to) and very well written; he just happens to disagree with me 90% of the time. So if you don't like what you see here, be sure to give his site a read.

Is this a great country, or what?

What do you think about what happened in South Carolina? Any thoughts on the subject? Leave me a comment.

Btw, the only reason I started blogging to begin with was that my daughter started putting things I disagreed with on her blog. She still isn't "assimilated" but I'm still trying. ;-)

4 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger paul said...

The bottom line is the man was arrested because he was expressing a view against the President that others could see. The safety issue was a pretense.

I don't think the government should have the power to do stuff like this, but I'm a conservative. Liberals think differently.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger willowfae said...

What's funny is that BUSH is a conservative.

Free speech makes the short list of things I am most passionate about in life.
Free speech is what got Bush my vote in the first place. I absolutely could not bring myself to vote for Tipper Gore after all the advancements she made for censorship in an attempt to protect my innocent teenage ears from foul language.

PS: The person whose journal I posted to that was just walking down the street in New York in the wrong place at the wrong time would disagree with your "uninvited guest" analogy.

PSS: Of course we are still friends. Just try not to be derisive with me when I don't agree with you. I am not an idiot.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Bill Faith said...

I don't think I've ever called anyone an idiot just for disagreeing with me. The right to do that is reserved for members of the ruling elite like
Teresa Heinz Kerry
.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger willowfae said...

I know you didn't. I'm sorry. Just be aware that the reason we disagree isn't always that I just don't have the facts. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home